Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cinema Season Start

The other things that has been happening in the last few weeks is a blissful return to regular cinema going for us. With this season's lineup focussuing heavily on the Popcorn cinema that we both enjoy, we just couldnt stay away from some of the obvious choices.

Started the run with Iron Man last weekend, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted, expectations were high, given that the lead was played by one of my favourite actors. But even if the general opinion is along the lines of R.D.jr making this movie, I still believe that the effects, script and not least of all the music comes together beautifully to a thoroughly entertaining experience that was a bless to watch after a few let downs in the superhero department recently (didnt like XMen 3 or Spiderman 3, hated Superman, found transformers rediculously childish and was merely meh'ed by Batman returns).

Second up the list was, not surprisingly, Indy IV this weekend. Now I feel after taking in all the negative comments I have read about the movie after I went to see it (didnt want any bias of opinion before seeing it, which is a rarety for me), I have to say that "My name is Mike and I liked Indiana Jones and the Kindom of the Crystal Skull". Yes, I know, its been 20 years since, but somehow it still works for me - but I can very well understand why it may not for many other people. I read time and again that the movie fails to "suspend our disbelieve". I dare say that that may be because we are no longer 12 years old and Indy for us is something very different than it is for the kids that grow up today. For me at least, Indy was something special, being set apart from the usual adventure movies of its time by not least of all a pretty massive production budget. Nowadays however, every filmstudent has access to great special FX thanks to the wonders of cheap CGI, and films have to try very hard to set themselves apart and be special. I wont have to to say LOTR, but people know what I mean. Still, with this context, Indy managed to send me reminicing the old times if nothing else.

Having enjoyed both movies, I will try and own both of them on DVD.

Question is, will this be the case for the third movie coming up for us? I have a feeling that yes, it will end up in our DVD archive, but I wont be the one buying. We have tickets, you may have guessed it, for the Dublin premier of "Sex and the City" on Wednesday night...

No comments: