Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Use the f(a)rce...

I have just been on Grafton street, innocently running to get my lunch. Grafton street at this time of the year, i.e. what is meant to be summerish, is usually a vibrant mix of busking musicians, human statues and begging homeless and not so homeless people.

Today however saw something new even for me. Unfortunately, I didnt have my camera ready, but suffice to say that the bottom of Grafton street was populated by an oversized leprechaun asking for money because he had put on a disney world mickey mouse sized comic costume left over from the paddy's day parade and, I kid you not, a skinny guy in a black T-Shirt and a Darth Vader mask handing out leaflets promoting the NO vote to the Lisbon Treaty referendum.

I dont know if it was Jedi mind magic or the same inhuman drive that compells people to watch a trainwreck happening, but I actually couldnt help but take the leaflet, even though he and his "The more you think you know the more you dont know" shouting companion already discredited themselves by this comic mascarade right from the start.

As expected, the leaflet was full of the usual anti EU arguments, nothing standing out to be worth mentioning. To be fair, I should quote their website at wiseupjournal.com though, advising you that they do not share my views or opinions (on the contrary).

[start rant of blissful political naivity]
Its people like these that always made me question the validity of a referendum on anything, because ultimately, the vast majority of people voting are un- or misinformed on the issues thanks to pro and contra propaganda in place of objective campaigns. People investing money in such campaings almost always aim to establish a bias to one or the other side and blur the facts instead of laying them out unobjectively.
[end rant of blissful political naivity]

Everyone has an agenda, such is the world of politics I guess.

No comments: