Monday, May 5, 2008

Hello World

Ok, so I finally gave in... I am going to give this blog thing a try, many years after everyone else started it.

I am what you can call a late majority player when it comes to internet communities. Part of the reason for that is the ever changing webscape out there. I used to do ICQ a lot some time back, but when I mention that nowadays, I am outing myself as old. Other than that, I was absorbed in World of Warcraft for 2 years, even dragging my girlfriend into it, which is about as community involved as I have gotten in a long time. That stunt is over now with no time left to play though :(

I never signed up for facebook, bebo, linkedin, what have you... mostly because I was afraid that by the time I had my profile up, everyone else would have left again for the next best thing. You know... "Facebook is soooo 2006".

Yesterday however, while digging through the files in my archive, I came accross a little treasure from way back when. I started webdesign and HTML pretty much in the first half of 1996, very shortly after the www went commercial. My first homepages were sins and abominations, but with a few trusted friends, we were the first private homepage owners in a word that knew nothing about community websites and in which 14400 modems were cutting edge and allowed you to browse sites with "Graphics switched on" in Netscape... you get the picture (pun intended).

Anyway, I stumbled over the remnants of one of those pages, and lo-and-behold, it was titled "piece of the day", which basically contained something like an online diary of what I was doing from time to time... I am shocked to admit that I had totally forgotten this, but it turns out, I am guilty of having tried to blog right then back there.... NOW you can call me ancient.

I had fun reading over the garbage that I wrote back then, mostly because I have changed so much since, both in the way I think and in the way I see the world around me. So when I read this in 10 to 12 years time, I hope I will have the same laugh. Therefore, if nothing else, this blog will be my own little amusing time capsule.

Well, I have little to no time these days, so basically, I am starting this as another project that I wont have time for, but as you can already tell, I like writing, so cut me some slack in case I dont manage to post too regularly. When I do post, I will not stick to any particular subject, but probably mostly go with whatever is on my mind. Given that I am a complete gadget geek, work as a senior developer for X Communications, am getting married this year first in Germay, then in Poland (dont worry, same girl :)), you can pretty much guess what is going to pop up...

Anyhow, see you around!

No comments: